Global Friends Online

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jointventureemails  (Read 6672 times)

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
Jointventureemails
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
Update about JointVentureEmails and I am asking all of you that if you would like to respond, please make a new topic as this has nothing to do with Fusionmails. Thanks.

The site has been moved to go-mama and the transfer for the domain has been requested too, now I am only waiting that the transfer will be done.
According to email message I received from Hostigation it will be done on November 21st. Personally I find it a long time, but after all the issues etc. I will leave it as it is. Let's hope that it will be done sooner.
As long as the dns hasn't been changed, I can not do anything.

To Carole: you've been a good friend too and I will do my best (with my own twist) to make JV a fun site again. I will email you one of these days when I have some more time. Probably after the weekend.

To Cookie3: thank you for your kind words and I hope you will enjoy your stay at JV.

greetings, summerday

Here is a copy of the last admin message I sent:

Hello great members,

The hosting has been moved back to go-mama and now I am waiting that the dns server move will be done.
From the current domain registrar I received the message that this will be done on November 21st.
As you might have noticed the daily visitors to the site are showing a huge number of visitors and I am worried that because of that the bandwidth will be raising.

I asked go-mama if there will be any solution for this, but there isn't really much they can do unless I change the name server at the current registrar.
I tried to do that, but I got an error message.
I have sent a message to the current registrar asking them to speed up the transfer, but I doubt that I will get any response (they weren't cooperative at all so far).
Go-mama is going to look into this if they can change the name server.

What does all this mean for you??
I think the best thing will be not to do any clicking, your earnings etc are safe, but we don;t want that anything get lost or whatever.

At the homepage I have put the sentence that the site is under repair. By then everyone is informed that we are having some issues.

I am very sorry that all this happened, although it is not my fault, I am responsible for it now.
Also I hope that I can make it up to you, in December I am planning to do some fun things, click contest.

Please stay tuned, you don't want to miss it.

Thanks & greetings, summerday

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
Re: Jointventureemails
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Some good news!!

Go-mama was able to change the name server and believe it or not, I also got a reply from Tim that he has changed the time-zone.
Within 24-48 hours the change of name servers should have been completed and by then we need to see which errors need to be fixed.
After all a bit faster then November 21st.

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »
Some good news!!

Go-mama was able to change the name server and believe it or not, I also got a reply from Tim that he has changed the time-zone.
Within 24-48 hours the change of name servers should have been completed and by then we need to see which errors need to be fixed.
After all a bit faster then November 21st.

New update!!
Again we didn't have much luck. In spite of the fact that Tim of Hostigation told me he had changed the time-zone, the change of name server has been completed today (11/22/2010!!!). According his message I received on the 15th this should be completed on 11/21/2010.

Anyway we are almost back now.
Now the dns nameserver has been changed to go-mama and it will take up to 24 hours for the changes to take effect. By then I am able to see which errors need to be fixed.

Linda

• Global Buddy
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
I don't understand why your hosts are having to change nameservers? when changing hosts usually the new host will give you the nameservers and the site owner goes in and changes the nameservers. How are they getting access to your domains, mine are in my own account with my own log in.

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
I don't understand why your hosts are having to change nameservers? when changing hosts usually the new host will give you the nameservers and the site owner goes in and changes the nameservers. How are they getting access to your domains, mine are in my own account with my own log in.

My host is different than where the domain is hosted.
So my host was given me the nameservers and I informed that to my domain registrar.
Hope this answers your question.

Rod

• Pending Deletion
  • Global Relative
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »
I believe what Linda meant was, I am hosted with hostigation but I buy my own domains from GoDaddy.

Anytime I get a new domain, switch hosts, etc (not just my own account but anyone I work for) I have to go into their domain registrar (usually GoDaddy) and change the nameservers "myself". 

I don't have anyone I can request to change it for me.

You just relay the nameserver info to someone and they change it for you?

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
I believe what Linda meant was, I am hosted with hostigation but I buy my own domains from GoDaddy.

Anytime I get a new domain, switch hosts, etc (not just my own account but anyone I work for) I have to go into their domain registrar (usually GoDaddy) and change the nameservers "myself". 

I don't have anyone I can request to change it for me.

You just relay the nameserver info to someone and they change it for you?

OK, let me explain as follows:
JointVentureEmails was hosted at hostigation, the domain was hosted there too.
I changed the hosting to go-mama and the domain to namecheap.
I have hosted all my sites at go-mama and the domains at namecheap.

Another update is that the site is back now, I was able to do some clicking and I assume that the members can do that too.
So can we leave this all behind us and move on?? I believe it has no sense to discuss hosting, domain etc. etc. further.
Thanks and a special thank you to all the members who had so many patience.

Linda

• Global Buddy
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
It is good news that your site is back up and running, however there are things I think are important to discuss. I think it is important we give the message for anyone reading to think it is NOT ok to give log in information to others, whether hosts or whoever, the log in information for domains should not be shared, you may trust some but there may be others who are not so trustworthy so it is always best to err on the cautious side.
From reading what you have posted go mama changed your nameservers on the 17th Nov so since then it has been on go mama hosting but the delay was with the domain registrant because you decided to transfer the domain. 

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
It is good news that your site is back up and running, however there are things I think are important to discuss. I think it is important we give the message for anyone reading to think it is NOT ok to give log in information to others, whether hosts or whoever, the log in information for domains should not be shared, you may trust some but there may be others who are not so trustworthy so it is always best to err on the cautious side.
From reading what you have posted go mama changed your nameservers on the 17th Nov so since then it has been on go mama hosting but the delay was with the domain registrant because you decided to transfer the domain.

Right now I don't have the time to discuss this further, maybe I will come back to this at a later time.

taxlady

• Global member
  • Global Relative
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »

When you host with someone, they have full access to everything, even if you have a dedicated server.  How else can you expect your host to help you when things go wrong? 
I can see the concern when changing PO's, but hosts have full access to everything on their servers so as long as your hosts are trustworthy, i don't see the problem.

After all, isn't it the host that gives the PO the dns info to change? And fyi, the domain registrar doesn't have access to members info or cpanel.

Hosts on the other hand, when a po needs support they must provide the passwords, usernames for the issue to be fixed by the host, although in truth, they already have that info because if a po forgets, or wishes to change passwords, and they can't do it themselves, the host can do it for them, and in order to do that, they've got to get into cpanel or admin.

So all i can say is make sure who you host with are trusted and discreet and not just a fly by night entity.

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 06:01:53 AM »
Thanks Taxlady for your post, I couldn't said it better.
Last couple of weeks I was too busy with all the changes at JV that I didn't had the time to give a further reply.
Now all the necessary changes have been made, payouts have been started and the site has gotten a new look.

Have a great day & greetings, summerday

taxlady

• Global member
  • Global Relative
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
Last couple of weeks I was too busy with all the changes at JV that I didn't had the time to give a further reply.
Now all the necessary changes have been made, payouts have been started and the site has gotten a new look.

you're more than welcome. BTW site looks great. You've done what i wished i could do long ago. I prefer that template, and the drop down menu for members, but never could get that to work even though i had the code for it. Works fine with that template.

Hugs,
Carole

Linda

• Global Buddy
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

When you host with someone, they have full access to everything, even if you have a dedicated server.  How else can you expect your host to help you when things go wrong? 

We was talking about the domain account where the nameservers get changed etc not the hosting account and hosts do not normally have access to the domain account, but as far as I am concerned it really is not important anymore.

summerday

• Global Program Owner
  • Global Relative
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »

you're more than welcome. BTW site looks great. You've done what i wished i could do long ago. I prefer that template, and the drop down menu for members, but never could get that to work even though i had the code for it. Works fine with that template.

Hugs,
Carole
Thanks a bunch and I'm glad you like it, I hope the members will like it too.

hugs, Rita

Rod

• Pending Deletion
  • Global Relative
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
No, hosts don't necessarily have the password either.

Most passwords these days are stored as MD5 HASH passwords.  Basically that means it is encrypted (I believe this forum is even like that...Sophie can't see our passwords directly) and that is why the system asks you to "reset" your password.

MD5 Hash passwords are one way only, meaning, you enter your password in plain text and the MD5 hash encrypts it.  However, you can't enter the encryption and convert it back to plain text.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
« previous next »

Need extra money for personal spending? | Tri-Peak Solitaire | Used Paperback Books | That Animal Site