Global Friends Online

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jointventureemails  (Read 6677 times)

taxlady

• Global member
  • Global Relative
Re: Jointventureemails
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:54:49 AM »
No, hosts don't necessarily have the password either.

Most passwords these days are stored as MD5 HASH passwords.  Basically that means it is encrypted (I believe this forum is even like that...Sophie can't see our passwords directly) and that is why the system asks you to "reset" your password.

MD5 Hash passwords are one way only, meaning, you enter your password in plain text and the MD5 hash encrypts it.  However, you can't enter the encryption and convert it back to plain text.

I beg to differ with you. What you said holds true for any ptr and te ex. The PO does't know the passwords, but can change them if necessary. They are encrypted and can be requested by the user, but doesn't always work.
On several occasions i had members who forgot their pw's and couldn't get them via the scripts, so i had to manually change the pw, and had the member log in with new pw that i generated and told them what it was temporarily, and asked them to change it as soon as they logged in.

On the other hand, my host was always able to get into cpanel and change pw for me, as i wanted the pw i'd remember and not the one the scripts generate. So i'd tell them what pw i wanted, and they would go in and change it for me if the scripts wouldn't let me do it (too weak or whatever reason).

It's standard practice when you send a support ticket, to send the cpanel and admin pw with the support ticket, but in the case when it's forgotten, the host can get in anyway.

There is a difference between a host and a PO.

I've had several instances over the years, that my host would create an account to test something like the mailer to make sure it was working etc........

While i dealt mainly with go-mama, it's possible that other hosts work differently, that i wouldn't know.Just speaking from my own experiences with my host which i no longer use, as i don't have any sites anymore.

As a PO i never had access to members pw's they were encrypted. I'm sure the same goes for the host for members pw's but the site pw's for cpanel and admin were another story, and my host always had that access.

Carole

Rod

• Pending Deletion
  • Global Relative
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
they always had access through "their" WHM access (server wide access) and can get into any account inside the box.  Thats how they suspend accounts and any other adjustment they need.

Same holds true for the "root" account for you MySql database on the server.  They can access any database through it.

That still doesn't mean they have "your" password.  ;)

taxlady

• Global member
  • Global Relative
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
Thanks Taxlady for your post, I couldn't said it better.
Last couple of weeks I was too busy with all the changes at JV that I didn't had the time to give a further reply.
Now all the necessary changes have been made, payouts have been started and the site has gotten a new look.

Have a great day & greetings, summerday
Thought i'd drop in to see what's going on.  I am sorry to see that Rita gave up JV but i understand that the membership dwindled down to next to nothing. Hope the new PO has better luck with it.  I still consider it my baby.

BTW for anyone who is interested.  My son who was battleling melanoma (the worst cancer you can get), passed away March 3, 2012.  Needless to say, i'm still grieving and will probably never get over it but it has finally gotten easier.

Thanks to those of you who were praying for him.  I know it's belated, but i've been in no mood to discuss it .

you're more than welcome. BTW site looks great. You've done what i wished i could do long ago. I prefer that template, and the drop down menu for members, but never could get that to work even though i had the code for it. Works fine with that template.

Hugs,
Carole
Thanks a bunch and I'm glad you like it, I hope the members will like it too.

hugs, Rita
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
« previous next »

That Animal Site | Tri-Peak Solitaire | Need extra money for personal spending? | Used Paperback Books